Mathematics is one of the most important subjects. Learning basic Math is essential for children in their early childhood learning. Mathematics is everywhere and introducing math to kids can make them learn quickly. It is important for kids to have a strong foundation in Math as a preparation for their studies in the future. The children who have good foundation in Math become interested in challenging areas of the subject. They are able to analyse and solve different kinds of problems analytically.
Some of the basic Math lessons that are taught to the kids in school.
- Counting – Counting and number sense are the basic things in math that a child must learn. The educators teach the children to count by holding the objects and count with them. Fingers are also used as the model for counting. While learning how to count, they are also introduced to numbers.
- The four operations (Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division) – the four operations are important in solving most of the mathematical problems. These four basic operations are very much applicable to all the topics in math as well as applicable in daily life events. Teaching math operations to the children will prepare them to advanced Math topics and also prepares them for their future. These are one of the most important topics to be taught in school next to counting.
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages – Fractions, decimals and percentages are introduced to children in simpler way during their earlier years in school. It is basically explained to them that the decimal number 0.5 is equivalent to ½ in fraction and is 50% in percentage. Figures are shown to them to make it easier to understand.
- Data and Graphs – Gathering data and making graphs can develop the reasoning skills. Learning them can make kids learn how to organise and draw conclusions. Graphs can develop kids’ ability to analyse the representation.
- Sets and Set Theory – Kids will be able to learn how to visualize a diagram. Sets and Set theory teach the kids how to unite and organise the elements. They will also learn to identify the differences of the elements between the sets.
- Perimeter and Area of Different Shapes – Kids will be introduced to different shapes and teach them how to calculate the perimeter as well as the area of a certain shape. In this topic, children can identify how small or big the object is. They will also learn the different units used for measuring.
- Probability and Statistics – These topics are introduced to kids by teaching them how likely it is that something will happen. By allowing them to think of those possible and impossible things to happen is a simpler way of introducing the probability.